[thelist] can someone build a 100-page website with onlyHTML/CSS skill?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Tue Nov 11 23:03:58 CST 2008

Christie Mason wrote:

>> If DW's not desired then set up a blank template file and use that for
>> creating new pages and  use SSI for navigation, header, footer etc.  To
>>
> keep
>
>> layout flexible, that's what CSS is for.
>>

> Hi. The problem starts right in where using SSI for navigation! Please
> read my newly write article to find why it's not feasible for 3-level
> navigation:
> http://www.zhangweiwu.name/081111.html
>
> CM replies
> Guess I'm being dense, or there's a PHP situation that's different than
> ASP/.net 'cause I dynamically generate navigation from dbs into an include
> file all the time with no problem.

Me neither. (I also never had problem generating navigation from DB).
Sorry I didn't follow your suggestion not because it's incorrect
programming. It is because it is programming. Please understand I don't
hate programming (you can tell that by the fact I wrote other programs
posted on this list). I just thought about it and considered programming
not a required knowledge for web designer (not web developer) working on
mid-small size web projects. I could be wrong, but I really know some
people who started web design career without knowing programming at all
and I am thinking maybe I can help my grilfriend starts also without
programming, and thinking from a programmer knowledge I should be able
to tell how things can be done without programming. CMS for her is a way
to avoid programming, not a way to do programming. That's why I am
thinking either CMS or static XHTML/CSS/SSI methods.