[thelist] mencoder or ffmpeg to convert .VOB to .flv

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu Nov 27 09:36:40 CST 2008

A year later I'm now starting to tackle some automation.  I have been
using 'super' combined with flash video encoder to covert .VOB files to
.flv format on my x-Win PC.  With my recently upgraded to Ubuntu Linux
desktop I now have access to ffmpeg and mencoder to do command line
conversions.

I'm not much for video, just a dabbler who does what is necessary to get
from point A to point B.  I could use a little advice with the correct
arguments to get some reasonable quality for .flv files that will be
displayed at 320x240px dimensions, preferably as conservatively sized
(MB) as possible.

I found an ffmpeg examples which I cannot get to work at all for .vob to
.flv:

    % ffmpeg -i input.vob -f flv -vcodec flv -b 200k -r 25 -s 296x236
-ab 64 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -acodec mp3 output.flv

It errors with:   "Unsupported codec for output stream #0.1".  For avi
to flv or mpg the following work:

    % ffmpeg -i input.avi avi_to_flv.flv
    % ffmpeg -i input.avi -target pal-vcd avi_to_mpg.mpg

Second part of the question, reasonable middle of the road
arguments/values for use with mencoder.  Here is what I tried and works
but I'm not sure how reasonably optimal it is:

    % mencoder input.vob -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=768 -ofps 25 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=32 -srate
22050 -vf scale=320:240 -o output.flv

Thx....

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!