[thelist] Fixed price jobs & scope control - was Fulltime to freelance

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 05:00:45 CST 2008

On 25 Nov 2008, at 08:36, Fred Jones wrote:

> Someone wrote:
>
>> On as serious note, get everything spec'd and signed off before
> starting work.  Nothing worse than a runaway project when you're on
> your own.

Well that's true in all cases - freelance or not

> This is very serious. I almost never take fixed fee jobs now b/c I
> have yet to have *any* job that didn't grow in scope after I started.

And projects do, but if you have the original baseline scope agreed,
then you fairly much insist on solid change control against the
baseline.

IoW: we're happy to increase the scope, provided each change is
assessed for impact against cost, schedule & quality.

Cheers
Martin