[thelist] Fulltime to freelance

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 13:23:15 CST 2008

On 29 Nov 2008, at 18:48, Matt Warden wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Martin Burns wrote:
>> Often the other way round: cost and schedule are fixed, but scope
>> varies.
>>
>> Or, to put it another way: we'll get as much done as we can from the
>> prioritised list - the more in-flight change involved, the more
>> likely
>> low-priorities are to drop off the end.
>
> Makes sense, but I still have a hard time reconciling that with how a
> large project would work.
>  it's difficult to see a way that such a high amount of change
> would result in anything workable in the end.

My largest project (currently occupying 16 people within a much larger
programme) seems to be handling it quite well, delivering in a set of
iterations which are evolving functional components to keep up with
emerging requirements. But I'm not at all convinced that the programme
has a defined total scope, even at a high level, while it's under
pretty firm limits to stop at the end of March.

This is actually a real interesting topic to me right now, as the
current client's flavour of the month is "we must do this project in
an Agile fashion" without stopping to think
a) what do they mean by Agile?
b) what's the logic for choosing which project are better suited to
Agile delivery?
c) does a project need to have *all* of it being Agile, or just some
workstreams?

So I'm trying to work this out in my own mind, as a prelim to
discussing with client.

If I get time (and I've got 2 weeks off over Xmas, so why not?) I may
write some of this up as an article.

> In fact, some of the scope mgmt I do is more to keep the client from
> inadvertently tanking their own project than anything else...

Oh believe me, I hear ya!

Cheers
Martin