[thelist] nomenclature - site map / web site

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Wed Dec 3 20:21:46 CST 2008

Jim Puls wrote:
> The only one that really bothers me, that I almost guarantee nobody ever
> thinks about:
> "Login" is a noun. "Log in" is the verb form.

You do think about it when you need to write it, if you are a thoughtful

IIRC the reasoning for Web site to be capitalized back in the day went

World Wide Web is a proper noun.  There is only one World Wide Web.
Therefore, "Web site" refers to this World Wide Web and should be
capitalized.  Similarly, there is only one Internet, so it too is a
proper noun.

Yet of course, at the same time, the world was moving toward lowercasing
everything. (And, of course, verbifying all nouns and adjectives.)

Here is Wired in 2004 giving you permission to lowercase:

Here they are in 2000 telling you all kinds of crazy stuff:

The first review in the stack points out how flawed that book really was.

IMO, if nothing else, be consistent with yourself.