[thelist] Multiple but different skins with the same coding?

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Mon Dec 8 06:20:38 CST 2008

Hi there,

we're managing a (data) portal. Now, a wish from partner organizations
came up to have "regional" versions of this portal. In a first step we
proposed to run all regional versions through the "global" one. This
avoids duplication of the code and then further down the line the
challenges with upgrading the code to a newer version.

This means that we would have one single portal with different skins,
including different logos, titles, eventually even languages.

What is the best way to implement this? Normally, skins are changed by
using different CSS styles. But this isn't enough for our project.
Especially the home page will be structured slightly differently. The
rest of the pages probably will stay the same, except logos etc.

Can someone give me a hint how to achieve this efficiently?

Thanks a lot!

   Stefan Schwarzer

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch