[thelist] page width trend - 800 or 1024 or other?

Barry Woolgar barry at burnthebook.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 10:00:12 CST 2008

Hello

> Usability-wise, I don't know how people surf the web with larger
> monitors.  Do they resize windows? (I'm talking about PC users.)

I have a 20" monitor which runs at 1680x1050 and mostly browse full screen.
If I'm reading a wall of text I'll just use Opera's - and now Firefox et
al's - zoom function (ctrl+mousewheel) to make the fixed width site fit
snugly without affecting the original layout. I can then lean back in my
comfy chair, and read at a far more comfortable distance. I barely notice
I'm doing it now!

When I have to use a Mac at work I quickly get frustrated as OS X is geared
more towards lots of layered windows so full screen use could be rarer. Not
because of the frustration, but just due to the way the OS tends to work.

HTH

Barry