[thelist] page width trend - 800 or 1024 or other?

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sun Dec 14 14:29:04 CST 2008

Felix Miata wrote:
> I think as long as sites
> like http://www.positioniseverything.net/ (px fixed width, 90% Verdana),
> http://evolt.org/ (px fixed width nav, no overall width constraint, 80%
> font-size on body) and http://www.alistapart.com/ (px fixed widths, .8125
> Verdana on body) fail to be good examples of how it can be done, I can't see
> many major sites materially deviating from the status quo.

Agreed.  This is partly why I asked the question. It seems like creating
a good flexible/fluid layout, and having it get a good general response
is more challenging than ever. http://www.alistapart.com to my
recollection, went from a frameset to a fluid layout, and *then* moved
from fluid to a fixed width.  Also I was asking the question because I
was experimenting with front-end designs for evolt.org.

Regarding evolt.org.

1. I thought someone had put a max-width on it.  Someone should do that.

2. evolt.org is running a "temporary" design that IIRC was created in
2002 and coded in 2005.  http://lists.evolt.org and
http://browsers.evolt.org are still running in the front-end from 2000.

3. It's a good time to revamp the front-end -- it has been for a few
years now. However, in trying to float ideas over the past few months,
many responders have voiced a desire for evolt.org to do more than
revamp the front end, for us to rethink our place in the world.

So  I hope that everyone reading this will take a minute to fill out the
brief survey here: http://tinyurl.com/5frkd7 to help us think through
the process.  The final questions are big picture questions.

I would also say that this list is a perfectly fine place to have the
big picture discussion as well if anyone wants to weigh in (probably
under a new subject header).

How is evolt.org going to regain and retain relevance as a web builders'
resource?  (I mean "web builder" in the sense of building content,
communication, business, and meaning, not just tech stuff.)

>> If you have screenshots of more complex sites that successfully
>> implement what you consider to be *good* design practices (sizes not
>> dependent on px), do you mind sharing those?
>
> http://cssliquid.com/ may be a place to start with examples. I've not tried
> per se to collect "complex" sites. The screenshots I have are mostly in
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/ and its subdirs, but they are far more "what's wrong"
> shots than "what's good". Does anything in
> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ShowCase fill the bill? If you find
> something that isn't there and should be, you can put it there.

Thanks, Felix, I've bookmarked your post in the archives.

Erika