[thelist] hours based access for web content

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 06:25:56 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Viggie Bala <viggie at viggie.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One of my regular client have a new requirement.  He wanted to allow a
> part of his website - his research data - on subscription, which is
> fine.  But his preference is to allow access on hours basis instead of
> days or months.  He is looking to collect micro payments (say $2 for 1
> hour) instead of targeting normal charges in these difficult times.
>
> I'm at a loss to find a solution that keeps track of time based access &
> restrict/logout when the time expires.  I vaguely remember about time
> based quizzes which allows 3 minutes to answer a question, but those
> quizzes were done in java.  I'm not sure whether this will work for a
> section of website.  The website runs in php and mysql.
>
> Any directions & suggestions on how to allow access on time basis are
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Viggie

If you don't want to do it in Java, you can make JavaScript a mandate for
access (which can turn away some users, but often not many). You can then
have JavaScript run a timer based on access and set up by PHP to redirect
them out when they're time is up. Also, just have PHP outright allow access
after that point.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com