[thelist] Geographic Location from IP Address

Hugh Miller hmiller at cfpress.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 10:21:02 CST 2009

Hi folks,

I've a requirement to install an IP to country system across our sites
as a way of filtering advertising mainly, and for certain UK only
content generally. Having never used anything like this before
(currently our doubleclick software does it automatically) I've
downloaded and set up a database from Software 77.

http://software77.net/cgi-bin/ip-country/geo-ip.pl

Does anyone know how reliable this one is, or any feedback at all would
be great, it'd be right good to have got a usable one first time of asking!

My test page is on:

http://www.anelegantchaos.org/

If you land there and your country is incorrect I'd appreciate a mail to
let me know from the supplied link on the page.

Especially interested in US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South
African testers as these are far and away the biggest international
traffic sources we have.

There's a Google maps pre-set latitude and longitude finder there if
anyone wants it all you need is an API for your own domain.

Regards,

believed to be clean.