[thelist] Web and email hosting - with blackberry?

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 00:32:27 CST 2009

Hi all-

I'm not a blackberry user, and I work solely on the backend of web
applications, but I've been asked to set up email and a website for a
friend, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

My friend/client wants to have email from her new domain available on
her blackberry, her laptop, and her desktop pc. I suggested using only
the webmail to access it, but she wants to use an email client, either
Outlook or Thunderbird. She also wants the email to go to her
blackberry if she's out of the office.

So my question is, how would one go about setting this up, and what
should I look for in a host?

<tip type="progressive enhancement with javascript">
When working on progressively enhancing a web page, once you know that
the browser can handle your scripting it often comes in handy to
change all the hrefs of your soon-to-be ajaxy anchors from "#" to
"javascript:void(0);" to avoid all that jumping around built in to the
browser.
If you use jQuery, you can do it like this:
$(document).ready( function() {
    $('a[href=#]').attr('href','javascript:void(0);');
});
</tip>