[thelist] mysql error using select to update

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Jan 13 21:45:15 CST 2009

unnecessary as it is, the 'alleged' solution is not yet a solution.  the
variable appears to get set properly but a look at the variable using
like or just listing all variables returns negative.  I regularly see
the message that mysql server has gone away; probably somewhere between
2-5 seconds if I don't repeat the query instantaneously;  yet even if I
repeat the query mega-fast no diff?

mysql> select @attribs := attribs from jos_content where id="118";
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| @attribs :=
attribs

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| show_title=0
link_titles=0
show_intro=0
show_section=0
link_section=0
show_category=0
link_category=0
show_vote=0
show_author=0
show_create_date=0
show_modify_date=0
show_pdf_icon=0
show_print_icon=0
show_email_icon=0
language=
keyref=
readmore= |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%attribs%';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show variables;
ERROR 2006 (HY000): MySQL server has gone away
No connection. Trying to reconnect...
Connection id:    1663792
Current database: matthelm_jvm15

+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name                   |
Value                                         |
| auto_increment_increment        |
1                                             |
| auto_increment_offset           |
1                                             |
| automatic_sp_privileges         |
ON                                            |
| back_log                        |
50                                            |