[thelist] star-hacks vs conditional comments

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Mon Jan 19 10:17:48 CST 2009

Barney Carroll wrote:
> Practice is important to consider — especially during elaborate debugging,
> where you'll want to know what 'mechanic' is affecting things differently

I'd venture that conditional comments are not "hacks" in that they don't
rely on bugs to work which to my mind would make them a more desirable
technique...?  I'm guessing the star hacks are pretty stable but
still..............

Anyway, I thank you all for your insight.  As always it has clarified
the situation for me.

Since I currently and generally develop on a Mac, I have to move to a
different machine to check IE, so for a simple site I generally only
check IE after a the main structure of a layout is complete, and if that
goes well, later after the bells and whistles are added.  To me, the
idea of keeping all IE-specific styles 1. minimal and 2. out of the way
of my "real" stylesheet, is desirable.   Also, I tend to separate styles
out anyway (structure -> color/type -> whatever).  So it makes sense to
my brain.

It is helpful to know why some folks choose one technique over another.

Erika