[thelist] Asking for email address twice

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:17:53 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:

> Maybe asking them to type it three or four times would really drive
> the point? ;)

 Be careful what you wish for.

>  Again, my preference is to ask for the email once and then send a
> confirmation (which provides either a one-time password or a URL to
> confirm the registration (or whatever).  But, today I came up with the
> situation where I need to complete the process before I can confirm
> the email.

If it helps any, my current form only asks once, and then displays a
confirmation screen. (Which is built half to what I'd want it to, but twice
what I had the time for).

In any case, a customer is bound to notice if they signed up the wrong
e-mail, so I would simply just leave the offer for them to correct it. I'm
pretty much bypassing confirming the e-mail, since the site is aiming for
ease-of-use, and I'd much rather them be able to play with the site then
have to leave and check their e-mail to keep going. That can always come
later (can't send emails from the site if you don't confirm, for example.)

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com