[thelist] A Writing on Why CSS should not be used for layout

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 22:27:09 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Will <willthemoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> In his follow up article he admits he doesn't know much about CSS.  Is
> it 2001 again?

I don' know. I hope this will not start a trend that will move things
backwards (I've seen similar claims on several other blogs this week).

He says that amazon, google, etc., etc. use tables for layout. Actually
thats one of the key points he founds his thesis on:
If the giants do it, then it should be good.

The majority of the world uses IE; does that mean IE is the king of the
browsers (another flamewar coming ;) )
Or the market penetration of Opera is near zero when compared to IE's. Does
that mean Opera is a bad browser, or does that reflect the accumulation of
Opera's incorrect marketing strategy over the years? -- I think Opera is a
really decent browser. If I were not involved in web development this much,
it will be my #1 browser preference.

The point I aim to come is, why they use tables is not, why it's the way
things should be.

They use tables; because they started out with tables and transition from
tables to css will require considerable time (and money thereof).

Take codeproject.com. It is imho #1 resource for a .net developer and has
high enough traffic still uses classic ASP.
But this should not necessitate we conclude classic ASP is superior over
ASP.net -- that is false reasoning (cannot find out the right name of this
logical fallacy right now; may be a philosopher evlolter can help :) )

So imho, the article itself lacks coherence.

cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik
+> Front End Architect, MessengerFX : http://www.messengerfx.com/