[thelist] Website speed smart practices (was gzip and far future expires header )

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Feb 4 11:57:49 CST 2009

Well there have been a couple more interesting developments with the
website speed thread.  My website is hosted in a common shared hosting
arrangement, which of course introduces another variable with what's
going on simultaneously with other websites.  Occasionally I will see a
first load of the home page in under 4 seconds, but other times 8-9.
Not awful but not great.  Then of course all other pages load relatively
fast after that.

I inquired to the hosting service how many other websites were hosted
but they were not up to sharing that info, which I expected.  To switch
to a dedicated server the cost would climbs to about $175/month.  Too
much at this time considering performance is acceptable.

The other really factor that I see is browser.  On my Linux PC I have
loaded Firefox, Konqueror, Opera, Epiphany and Seamonkey for testing.
The other browsers almost all load faster than Firefox.  Epiphany will
commonly load the home page in about 2 seconds as opposed to Firefox's
3-4.  I've looked at the FF settings but don't see anything that should
account for this.  Disabling the YSlow and other toolbars has negligible
to incidental effect.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me at www.Twitter.com/bobmeetin or www.Twitter.com/dottedi, Facebook, LinkedIn, or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!