[thelist] Safari, Forms and https do not play together well

Matthias Ritzkowski matthiar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:33:06 CST 2009

Hello,

I have a page that looked like this:
<snip>

<frameset rows="65,*" border="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="no">
	<frame name="nav" src="nav.html" noresize marginwidth="0"
marginheight="0" scrolling="no">
	<frame name="body" src="https://www.address.com/executable.cgi"
framespacing="0" marginheight="0">
</frameset>

</snip>

I was told to just use the code as is and so I plugged it in, Done!

Turns out some users report strange problems. So I tweaked it today to this
<snip>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
</head>
<frameset rows="65,*">
	<frame name="nav" src="nav.html" noresize marginwidth="0"
marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" >
	<frame name="body" src="https://www.address.com/executable.cgi"
marginheight="0" frameborder="0">
</frameset>
</snip>

I added doctype, changed some obsolete attributes, and now the page
validates as well.
But, Safari still does not play. Users can log in successfully, but
then their session seems to time out instantly. Has anyone ever
encountered anything similar?
I know this is probably a matter of what's happening in the cgi (not
on my server), but still, every browser BUT SAFARI? What gives? Oh
yes, and it's the latest 3.x ...
I downloaded Firefox on my Test-Mac and that works, of course ...

Just looking for any clues out there ...
Thanks
Matthias