[thelist] server to server connection

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at mch.govt.nz
Thu Feb 26 14:35:16 CST 2009

Hi Ken, Hassan, Anthony.

> What exactly does "file system access" mean?

As in the remote webserver needs to be able to mount the network drive
like a ... network drive.

> You could expose files inside the firewall though a "web service",
> otherwise known as a web server :-)

Ah, if only.
It's a big project replacing MS CMS with something open source and
extensible. There is an existing MS Word based authoring process (I
know, I know) which needs to be replicated and the whole drive access
thing is part of that.
The webserver component

> So, "access" as in frequent write/occasional read like a log file, or
> occasional write/frequent read? Or mostly symmetrical? What kind
> of transaction rate?

Read only AFAIK, so yes, a webserver would be ideal but alas...

> Like Ken recommended - go from inside the network to outside the
network. > e.g push instead of pull.

Yep, this would have been perfect had the initial solution not already
been built and the project already behind schedule.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions - looks like I'm going to go
with end to end VPN, with OpenVPN at the webserver end.

:)
Paul

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the addressee and is not necessarily the official view or communication of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this message or the information in it. If you have received this message in error, please email or telephone the sender immediately.