[thelist] strange IE 7 behavior

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Feb 27 06:15:58 CST 2009

If the title is longer than a certain number of characters, IE7 defaults to the URL. Not sure what the reason is, but I believe it's because of user support issues when websites have descriptions that have many hundreds of characters.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of L. Mohan Arun (marun2 at gmail.com)
Sent: Friday, 27 February 2009 11:05 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] strange IE 7 behavior

Hi all

Apologies I havent had much time to read through list postings but
everything is in my inbox and thanks to all those who responded to my
queries and doubts.

Today I found something baffling me (I am not affiliated with this site - it
is an ad I found in Gmail)

The site is http://www.ezstamp.com/

When I view this site in IE7, and check page source, there is a <title> tag
in <head> section and this title displays in the browser title bar properly.
When I hit Ctrl+D to bookmark the URL the title goes missing in the Add
Favorite dialog box! It only shows "http--www.ezstamp.com-" Does this issue
occur to other people using IE7 ? Or in firefox? Strange is it because the
title tag is very long?

Thanks