[thelist] [OT] OpenID

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 18:37:06 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Kevin Timmins <kipper_timmins at live.co.uk>wrote:

> Dear thelist users,
> I am just watching Mix09, and through one link or another I have discovered
> OpenID,
> Here is a link if you haven't heard of it, http://openid.net/
> I am un-sure at the moment whether this is a good secure service and I was
> wondering if any of you folks had any experience with this. I know this is
> off topic from programming, but if anyone is going to know about potential
> flaws then its going to be you folks right.
> Thanks in advance,
> Kevin

Last I checked, it was going to be too much of a headache for us to
implement (granted I didn't do any research, I just asked questions to the
person who did and the answers they gave went that direction). Especially
given what we were looking for in our signup process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it was described to me the process goes:

Client gives an openid email to authenticate
You figure out where to send them to verify they're who they are
External website asks for pass/performs authentication
External website redirects to yours letting you know if it succeeded or
failed

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com