[thelist] [OT] OpenID

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 05:48:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Lee Kowalkowski <
lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/23 Jack Timmons <jorachim at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Kevin Timmins <
> kipper_timmins at live.co.uk>wrote:
> >> I have discovered
> >> OpenID,
> >> Here is a link if you haven't heard of it, http://openid.net/
> >> I am un-sure at the moment whether this is a good secure service and I
> was
> >> wondering if any of you folks had any experience with this.
>
> > Last I checked, it was going to be too much of a headache for us to
> > implement
>
> I've only seen it used on stackoverflow.com, which is even a headache
> for a user if you don't habitually authenticate with one of their
> OpenID providers whenever you surf.
> --
> Lee

I gazed over the specs and that's exactly what happens.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with it. I think it's a case of "good
ideal, bad implementation". Why can't I just have a page I can CURL from the
server to authenticate from? Instead of redirecting them (adding no less
than two extra steps to a login process that takes only one if I don't use
it), I could just use the feedback from there.

We're trying to design a site so the user goes through as little steps as
possible to get what they want, and redirecting them from our site just to
support OpenID is useless, especially since our signup process itself takes
as many steps.

Give me something that acts more like Gravatar, in which I, as a user, only
have to provide my email address. I'm always surprised to see my avatar pop
up on sites that use it. It's a good thing.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com