[thelist] Bilingual Website

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 15:17:33 CDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Peter Abramowicz <pabramow at web.net> wrote:
> What I'm primarily interested in is recommendations on site structure,
> ie. is it a good idea to have an intro page where you choose your
> language or do we just default to one language and let user pick another
> or...
>
> The site is English/French for an organization based out of Quebec, Canada.
>
> I would also appreciate any technical insights for dealing with
> different languages, the environment is Apache on Linux with PHP and MySQL.

If you take a look at the sites of the government of Canada (.gc.ca),
you'll see it's in the very first page where you choose the language
(both official in Canada). I think the idea behind that is that the
government should not favor one language over the other (start with
French and have a link to English, for example, or vice-versa).
I like that idea. So, if your clients wants to have that same
"respect", I would suggest choosing the language in the first page,
but if they really are focusing on the French-speaking market, I
suppose it would make sense to start off with French.

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz