[thelist] Bilingual Website

Kimberley Rivero kimberley.rivero at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 16:06:35 CDT 2009

I want to say that I think it's a bad idea to determine which language
to deliver simply by geo-locating from the IP.  The user's default
language is a far preferable factor to go by.

As an English speaker living in a Spanish speaking country I can tell
you that I get quite frustrated when I'm delivered a Spanish page just
because of my location.

Also if your site needs to give a star performance in search engine
placement in specific countries then you may find that you will do
better to buy a new domain for each language, one that uses the
country specific extension.

For example it's been my experience that sites in Spanish targeted at
Mexico have an advantage over a regular .com site if they use the
.com.mx extension.

Thanks, Kim