[thelist] Bilingual Website

Kimberley Rivero kimberley.rivero at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:06:50 CDT 2009

I agree with Barney, choosing a language before you enter the site is
awful for users, it's a big turn off and should be an unneeded step.
When I design bilingual sites I decide on a default language (based on
who we think the primary audience is) then I put obvious language
buttons in the upper right of every page of the site.

One key is to put the name of the language in that language...so if
I'm on page in Spanish the button for English would say "English" not
"Ingles" and if I'm on a page in English the button for Spanish would
say "Español" not "Spanish."

This way you insure that if a user do not speak the language of the
page they are on they can, at least, find the button to change to
their own language.

- Kim