[thelist] Easy Server Setup

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:11:07 CDT 2009

I setup a very simple Ubuntu 8.1 VPS for someone, just so he could run
a CPU-intensive search for private use. That project was actually
discussed here a few months back--we ended up using grep for a search
and it works well. :)

But he's so happy with it that he wants me to move his 5 other regular
websites from shared hosting to this VPS.

I would like the simplest path to managing the server because I am not
much of a sysadmin. I have MySQL, PHP and Apache installed and
working. I just want a tool to allow me to manage various sites. I see
that the webmin tool appears to be the way to go but there's also
this: http://ubuntuservermanager.org/

The VPS has CLI only of course.

Can anyone advise what is the way to go here? Yes, I *know* it can all
be done via config files, but I would have to look up *most * of the
details how to set those up properly.

Thanks!