[thelist] nameservers

Matt McKeon matt at camadro.com
Thu May 7 11:09:46 CDT 2009

Bob Meetin wrote:
> Business has several domains all managed through godaddy
>
> I will be moving them over the weekend to point to new nameservers.
> Client has asked that:
>
> Domain #1 be redirected to file abc
> Domain #2 be redirected to file def
> Domain #3 be redirected to file ghi
>
> These files are noting more than specific files on the website where it
> will live on hostgator - one website, not three separate sites. In
> updating the nameservers on gd, I'm not aware of how I can specifically
> tell it which file on the new website should be home.
>
> Is there a way?

Hi Bob,

DNS doesn't actually specify the files/folders for a domain. That's the
job of your webserver. So, you just point your DNS records at the IP of
your webserver, and that servers configuration is what decides what
file/folder a specific domain has as its root.

If the domains are setup for use on your hostgator account, simply
points the DNS at that server and it should start working after the DNS
update is propagated. Those IP's and configuration are something you'd
have to find out from them though.

Does that clear things up a bit?

HTH,
Matt