[thelist] HTML Certification

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:24:32 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Ran Mano <rm at manointeractive.com> wrote:
>  Can anyone recommend HTML/XHTML/CSS/Usability certification. ....
> What about w3schools.com/cert ?

Not only would it never occur to me to ask if a front-end-developer
candidate had any "certification", I'd consider it a negative if it was
brought up.

> What do employers and HR departments look for? Any recommendations?

Aside from portfolio, I'd want our discussion to cover tools (hopefully
not starting with DreamWeaver!) and processes (hopefully including
things like "validation", "version control", etc.).

And as Barney mentioned, a good front-end person needs to be at
least somewhat familiar with the back-end technology platforms in
use at the shop in question; being able to cite projects where you've
used them is good.

Last, be ready to answer the question "what are you working on now?"
with an interesting side project, preferably one that reflects learning
an unfamiliar skill or technology.

It's easy to find people looking for a job; any place worth working at
is looking for people with enthusiasm and passion for what they do.

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com