[thelist] long-term autoresponder-type service

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Mon May 18 19:00:44 CDT 2009

Matt Warden wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Joel D Canfield <Joel at bizba6.com> wrote:
>>> I'd write this myself in half a day. Job runs every night sending out
>>> all emails. The body of the email is determined by each list member's
>>> sequence counter. Body is sent and sequence is incremented.
>> as a database challenge, piece o' cake.
>>
>> how 'bout when these are going out at a rate of hundreds at a time?
>> won't we be facing spam triggers from our hosting company(-ies) ?
>>
>> forgive, please, my ignurrinse
>
> Good point. I guess just check with them. If you need to stay under a
> threshold, then you need another column that is last_updated or
> similar, run the job every 30 mins at night, and send out X at a time.
> The downside is that you now have a finite number of users you can
> support (2NX, where N is the number of hours in your night window).

If you are sending the same content to many recipients, bundle up the
e-mails with multiple envelope (blind) recipients...  then you can send
a few hundred uniques per day without a crushing b/w penalty.  I can't
speak as to the spam factor, but if you are following the CAN-SPAM
rules, I doubt you'll be penalized.

HTH,

Phil