[thelist] how do you manage/respond?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat May 30 06:47:14 CDT 2009

On 30 May 2009, at 11:50, UIT DEV wrote:

> A client of mine who was notorious for this behavior went one step
> further and terminated a legal contract in the middle of a project
> simply
> because "This is not the business direction <name of company> wishes
> to go
> in at this time.  Let us know how much money you fell you spent and
> we'll
> discuss."   When I did so, they reneged and attempted to chopped my
> estimate
> in 1/2.

Yeah, they can only do that if you let them.

Assuming T&M: Approved timesheets at all times. You're only liable for
effort since the last one
Assuming Fixed Price on deliverables: You're only liable for effort
since last deliverable, and they don't get anything else.

In all cases: effective termination clauses in your contract that make
it less attractive to cancel than to continue.

And remember the PM's mantra: if it's not in writing, it's a rumour.
And we don't work that way.

Cheers
Martin