[thelist] Dedicated server management suggestions

EvoltList at no-pun.com EvoltList at no-pun.com
Thu Jun 11 11:51:07 CDT 2009

Greetings, all.

I seldom have clients who use a dedicated server (as opposed to shared
hosting) for web hosting, but have one right now (for a Drupal site) with an
"unmanaged plan"-- LAMP config.   I am not a system admin, and I really do
not like using shell access and command line -- but will if I must. I prefer
the added security and convenience of MyPHPAdmin for managing databases, and
love having a control panel for the other stuff.

Besides, I think that not having these tools is limiting to the client (a
nonprofit), who then must always have available someone knowledgable about
using shell access.  With something like CPanel, they could do their own
regular backups, for example; and are not so stuck if they find themselves
in between webmasters.

The development firm who has contracted me to assist with the Web admin of
the site, and has asked my advice about managing the server: should they add
GUI management software or move to a shared account.  I always believe in
doing what is best for the project/client, not what is most convenient for
myself.

Ideas?

Thank you.
T.y.m.e.