[thelist] object relational mapping

Jay Turley jayturley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:34:03 CDT 2009

ORM stands for Object-Relational-Mapping - here's the wikipedia article on
it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping

Basically it maps your database schema into code objects. Typically it's
done automagically.

Then, as a programmer, you access the database only through the objects, and
you never have to interact with the database because the ORM handles all of
that for you.

I don't know that it solves all the world's problems, but it certainly can
help with development speed.

Django is an example of a Framework that comes with an ORM.

Doctrine ( http://www.doctrine-project.org/  ) is a very typical PHP ORM.

Hope that help!

-Jay Turley