[thelist] Free Easy Web Page Editor

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Jun 12 14:01:08 CDT 2009

j s wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I think we would want some WYSIWYG stuff too.
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Jess
>
>>> Notepad++[1] has good HTML support. WYSIWYG editors do *not* create web
>>> sites but car wrecks on the information superhighway.
>>>
>>> [1] http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
>>>
>> Can you tell me if it has built-in FTP?
>>
>> I've been using HTML-Kit for years and I love it, but it looks like if
>> you want an update it's not free. Sometimes if I just need to make a
>> really quick edit it's too slow to load, so I use PSPad. But I hear so
>> many good things about Notepad++.
>>
>> -

Okay I can hear the sound of one hand "not" clapping in the background,
but for a wysiwyg that you can install on your client's website there
is, of course, tinyMCE. It is employed in several content management
systems as well as an option. It can be configured with extremely
limited formatting options if it helps to protect the client from
him/herself.  See a demo I set up at:
http://www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/editors/tinymce_editor.php

The tinymce website has many more configuration options including bbcode
at: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php

By limiting the formatting options you seem to reduce the risk of
'cruddy' html.  The remove formatting button can be a lifesaver.  I am
now using FireFTP on my Linux PC, a little quirky but it works fine as a
firefox addon.