[thelist] Computerized Automatic Phone Answering

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 15:36:47 CDT 2009

On 14 Jun 2009, at 19:16, Fred Jones wrote:

>> 1. Purchase hardware--the PC can be a simple one--any modern machine
>> will do. The card issue I must clarify still. It seems I either need
>> "real" card which can be had for no less than $500 (new):
>> http://store.digium.com/productview.php?product_code=1TDM411EF or if
>> this simple card for $50 will work:
>> http://store.digium.com/productview.php?product_code=1X100MF I will
>> discuss this with Digium I guess.
>
> I just realized that since the client's tech guy only knows WIndows,
> maybe it makes more sense to let him setup a Windows box and do the
> Asterisk in a VirtualBox machine. That would furthermore allow us to
> very easily upgrade his Asterisk system without showing up at his
> store--we just replace the virtual machine.

I think your second thought is a strong one, regardless of the base OS
- it also gives you a pretty strong roll-back strategy for when
upgrades don't work as they should.

However, unless you really rate their ability to safely and
effectively sysadmin the box, I'd strongly caution against encouraging
them to do so. Better perhaps to have them view it as a black box CTI
appliance.

Cheers
Martin