[thelist] PDF thumbnails

Robert Vreeland vreeland at studioframework.com
Mon Jun 15 08:51:21 CDT 2009

Hello all,
Been a while since I've posted, but here we go.
I'm creating a jpeg thumbnail from an upload PDF using imagemagick and ghostscript on a Linux box with php 5.2.9
Single page PDFs convert with no problems. Some multi-page PDFs work; i.e. I get a thumbnail for every page, and some don't - imagemagick/ghostscript is see the PDF as a single page and created a garbled image. I know the conversion is failing on PDFs version 4 or less and created on a Mac. I've tried doing both with and without the brackets in the exec command
i.e. 'exec(convert filename[0] filename)'
I don't believe that is the issue. So my question(s) are
1. Is it an issue with PDFs created on a Mac?
2. Is it a PDF version issue?
3. Anyone found a work around? I've run across a lot of post on the garbled image bit, and the consensus is to use Imagemagick with ghostscript (already doing) with the brackets (tried it).

Thanks in advance
Robert Vreeland
StudioFramework