[thelist] still considering IE6?

Chrome admin at chrome.me.uk
Thu Jun 18 09:50:48 CDT 2009

> Hi,
>
> just a quick pulse check on the group. Lazybones here is considering
> dropping IE6 from officially supported browsers, since IE7 and 8 are
> now
> out. I am in the early stages here, but I am wondering what others are
> doing?
> Am I too early to do it (June 2009) ?
>
> I am currently testing in Firefox, Konqueror, Opera, Safari, IE7 and
> IE8.
>
> Regards
> Matthias
> --

> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

> Workers of the Web, evolt !

A good question this, and one that has done the rounds here... Our designer
wants to drop IE6 from our 'supported' browsers, mostly because it's such a
PITA

I think my personal view revolves around the target demographic for your
product; if the visitor is likely to be corporate then IE6 resolutely can't
be dropped. A lot of intranet apps were written specifically for IE6 as well
as the fact that upgrading software on a corporate network takes a long time
as it has to be tested so thoroughly

For 'normal' visitors I'm all in favour of dropping IE6 support.  In fact
the boss here thinks we should have a message targeting these users telling
them to upgrade and offer them a link for FF (I suggested browsehappy.org
instead as it preserves choice better) but I think that may be just a little
over the top and may offend some sensitive users

That's my 10 penn'orth (it may be a recession but I can still spend ;) )

YMMV etc.

Dan