[thelist] SEO and domain names

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 05:54:23 CDT 2009

2009/6/24 Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org>

> I have a site http://example.com/.  We want to add a blog.  There's
> discussion about where that blog should live.  It's been suggested
> that we use http://example.com/blog (or whatever path) instead of a
> separate sub-domain such as http://blog.example.com/ to help with SEO.
>
> I think the reasoning is so the links in the blog point to the main
> site domain.
>
> Anyone know how significant this is for SEO?

If I thought it had any significance at all, I would have thought a separate
domain would help SEO more.  Depending on your context.

If a search engine considered example.com and blog.example.com to be
different domains, the links to the main domain from the blog may have more
weight.

Unless you mean /blog will help by making such links to the main site less
relevant?  Not that I think it will actually matter, I just didn't
understand the reasoning.

--
Lee
webdeavour.co.uk