[thelist] page weight

Zachary Kent zachary.kent at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:56:36 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Susan Payne <Susan.Payne at cpa.state.tx.us>wrote:

> Do you have a standard for the total page weight for your sites? I have
> a graphic designer who's giving me image files that are way too large.
> My previous employer said no bigger than what would take more than 10
> secs to download over a 56k. I think that's not reasonable and am not
> really designing for  dial up. Slow public wi-fi, yes.
>

> Any standards/sources that can back me up as to why a total page size of
> half a MB is too much would be appreciated.

Another good way to test a site is to use a proxy that is intentionally
throttled so you can simulate that slow connection feeling.  One I
bookmarked recently is http://www.dallaway.com/sloppy/  But I haven't tried
it yet.  I believe there are other slow proxies out there you can use for
testing.

Zach