[thelist] Does Safari consistently print at 3/4 size?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 29 11:40:56 CDT 2009

On 2009/07/29 15:14 (GMT+0100) Barney Carroll composed:

> Actually this specific behaviour is not reproducible with Chrome (also
> webkit) (in fact Chrome prints it too big).

I've yet to try Chrome on any platform.

> Margins and the basic font-size for page meta (title, date, time, url, page
> number) are also affected as well as page content on Chrome, so you may have
> something in that webkit does not communicate well with the OS and makes
> certain assumptions by itself (but the assumptions are different per
> instance with Safari/Chrome).

Could be there's an unannounced patch for WebKit bug 18001 used by Chrome
because Google devs consider the issue important while Apple devs do not.
FWIW, the Midori version I have installed on openSUSE 11.0 is at WebKit 525.1
which provides no option for other than 96 DPI within the viewport, similar
to Safari on Windows, which provides no option for other than 96 DPI anywhere.

> I am not sure exactly how DPI would come into play here (I am not using any
> em-, en-, or other font-based measurements), neither am I an expert on what
> steps are taken in what order to produce centimetres as dictated by a CSS
> file, but I can tell you that my system is rendering 96DPI — so we may not
> be talking about the same issue.

I don't know how either, but I do know that when I want Fedex labels to print
correctly I must either be using a browser already thinking it's at 96 DPI,
or must force it into using 96 DPI. Print stylesheets generally specify real
sizes, e.g. pt, mm, cm, etc, and those real sizes are DPI sensitive. If
browser implementations are mismanaging DPI, there may be nothing that can be
done short of getting their devs to fix whatever's broken. If you're on
Leopard Mac, it could be some obscure resolution independence support feature
has been turned on and is upsetting browser expectations.
--
No Jesus - No peace , Know Jesus -  Know Peace

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/