[thelist] common marketing/advertising misconception (was RE: spammers/spambots)

Shannon Hubbell brundlefly at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:15:25 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Joel D Canfield <Joel at bizba6.com> wrote:

> lots of people create 12-foot-long squeeze pages. lots of them. filled
> with jerky pushy sales tactics. lots of people do it, so it must work,
> right?
>
> I'm not aware of any evidence that it does.

The company I work for recently did an a/b test between a 12-foot-long
squeeze page like you're talking about and a nicely designed, elegantly
written landing page. The jerky sqeeze page came out on top (in terms of
getting people to click on a link and fill out a "Request a Quote" form). I
was really surprised.

Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data! :)

~Shannon