[thelist] common marketing/advertising misconception (was RE:spammers/spambots)

Joel D Canfield Joel at BizBa6.com
Thu Jul 30 12:29:14 CDT 2009

> The jerky sqeeze page came out on top (in terms of
> getting people to click on a link and fill out a "Request a Quote"
form).

not surprising; this is the ongoing anecdotal evidence. how 'bout sales?
I wanna know which resulted in more honest-to-goodness sales.

> Of course, the plural of anecdote is not data! :)

badumpbumpCRASH

(yeah, Shannon; I *had* read this before I wrote my reply above ;)

a corollary to this marketing misperception is, of course, that you're
interested in generating traffic, or leads. both are part of the
equation, but the farther upstream you start qualifying, the less time
you waste culling the weaklings from the herd. um, filtering out
unqualified leads. whatever.

and, in the end, if I had to choose between a life of luxury, purchased
with the ill-gotten gains of spammy jerky marketing, or living a simple
life in which I didn't vomit every time I looked in the mirror, I'm
juuuuuuust principled enough to choose happy over rich. prefer both, but
if I have to choose . . .

still interested in the conversation, though. I'd really love to hear
one single verifiable instance of someone receiving true spam, and
parting with real money because of it.

joel