[thelist] moving webhosting and losing all the old emails....

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Fri Jul 31 12:47:59 CDT 2009

Nan Harbison wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am working with a company on a new website, and we are contemplating
> moving the hosting over to register.com, where the domain name is registered
> for several more years, and they are a nonprofit, so trying to save money.
>
> Of course the huge problem is that their email is connected to their
> hosting, so as far as I know, when we switch over, all their old email will
> be lost. Is that true? And if it is true, is there a way to get all their
> important email off the old server? Some use Outlook, and I think the email
> on Outlook will not be affected, is that right?

What were they using before, combination Outlook and WebMail? IMAP? Get
everyone on a POP3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird) and
have them download their mail (or IMAP and move all the mail locally).

Then when you move Mail Servers you still have your mail.

Another way would be to move them all to GMail accounts and setup GMail
to download the mail from their olde server via POP3.

BTW - I've had very good experiences with GoDaddy, registration and
hosting. Very cheap too.

--
Anthony Baratta

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents.
— H. P. Lovecraft