[thelist] FW: Link Rot

Brady Mitchell mydarb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:49:52 CDT 2009

> (2) Add some code to the 'validation' or 'publication' approval process to ensure that no non-tiny URLs can be loaded into your content system.  Again, this should be pretty easy to do {if you find "http://blahblah" and not "http://BigEvolt/xx" flag it as an error) and should be fairly easy to incorporate into the workflow 'approval' process.

I like the idea, but its worth noting that this would significantly
impact the seo value of links on your site. If it's a tool or internal
site that's obviously not an issue, but for a public-facing website it
would be.

> The benefit of an internal implementation of such a service is that it gives you a single database table containing *all* of the reference URLs in your entire content system.  That is a big plus.  Huge.

I'm working on something similar and looking forward to the automated
link checks. In my case I'm planning to disable any links that are
broken and create a broken links report.

I'd be interested to read your article.

Brady