[thelist] Differing SQL Server Versions and Backups

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Thu Aug 20 16:52:49 CDT 2009

Yes to all of the above.

If you have access to the Production SQL Server via Studio Mangager, Ken is suggesting you use Studio Manager (Export or SSIS) to get your data and copy it down to SQL 2000. I was assuming you only had the backup file and no direct access to the Production Server.

If only the backup file, import into SQL Express and attach your apps to that. Or then use Studio Manager to migrate your data from 2005 to 2000.

I wouldn't recommend the 2005 -> 2000 migration path because Studio Manager is horribly broken when it comes to moving data and stored procedures between servers using the data export wizard. SSIS might be better - currently don't use it for that.

Side joke for the South Park Aficionados:

Step 1 - MS SQL 2005
Step 2 -
Step 3 - Profit