[thelist] Amazon S3 for serving video: restricting permissions

Joel Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Sat Aug 29 10:57:55 CDT 2009

> you could use a third party s3 file protection product
> s3downloader.com
>
> close, but playing with their demo, I can't see any way to embed video with
it, which is the challenge. which, maybe, I didn't mention earlier. sorry.

> If Query String Authentication is too much time and effort
> http://www.askmrvideo.com/public/136.cfm
>

> obfuscation always looks to me like a call for cracking. I need to protect
the original file. it's unlikely anything will every happen, but if some bot
started repeatedly downloading one of these 45-minute videos, I could rack
up thousands of dollars in charges at Amazon pretty quick. I can't afford
the risk.

> A Php code sample for query string authentication is here
>
> http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/thread.jspa?messageID=96679&#96679

it's probably just me, but that's no clearer than the Amazon tutorials.

what I really need is a clearer, simpler Querystring Auth tutorial. Or
something.

Thanks, though.

Still looking.