[thelist] Amazon S3 for serving video: restricting permissions

Joel Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Sat Aug 29 16:55:31 CDT 2009

> I missed it, looking at the other resources. Digging back into that
> example, I'm now at the point that it doesn't like hash_hmac for some
> reason. I get the error
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: hash_hmac() in video.php on line 8

well, my answer is, the server Crystal Tech has me on is PHP4.

<huge angry rant which you've already heard before>

here's where it's fun: their tech suggested, without any warning, questions,
or (apparently) thought, that I simply ask to be 'upgraded' to PHP5.

well, what 'upgrade' meant, after I asked a number of questions, was that
they'd move all my hosting to another server. with a new IP address. which
would require updating my DNS at my registrar. "Oh, you're not using our
DNS? oh, well, huh . . . um . . . "

Joel: what other questions should I be asking that you're not taking into
account?
Cody Mejia: Well buddy you wanted to use hash_hmac and I'm trying to give
you a solution if you wanted to use it and it requires PHP5.

Cody Mejia was more than happy for every single one of my sites (mine and my
clients') to drop like a rock when the IP address changed because he had a
flippant answer off the top of his head, rather than asking the simple
question "do you use Crystal Tech's DNS?" before he recommended a
fundamental sweeping change.

yes, I know; it's my fault for using them. that's why I'm looking for a web
admin who will insulate me from things I don't know and don't care about.

of course, when I asked him what other risks were involved, he never came
back to the chat window, and I gave up waiting. so now, I'm either stuck
with PHP4, or stuck with the potential unknown risks of moving my entire
site. which, now that I think about it, sounds great. just, not with Crystal
Tech.
</harwyahb>

joel