[thelist] How to check if a domain has hosting

Krystian - Sunlust sunlust at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 07:07:29 CDT 2009

Hi mate,

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Mohan Arun L <marun2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>but in theory, is there any
> way to check if a domain has hosting on it?
>
> Check with
> domaintools.com
> whoishostingthis.com
>
> To go deeper, you can query the dns records of the suspect domain
> using online dns tools to see if it matches with the dns records of
> the domains that do have hosting.
>
> http://network-tools.com/nslook/Default.asp
> dnsdoctor.org
> http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/
>
> I think you need to check the similarity of A, SOA and CNAME records.
>
>>>I tried to type www.xxx.com/cpanel and it comes up with a dialog box, now, if it's frame forwarding, is it possible that it's taking that Cpanel login from the domain it should be forwarding to?
>
> No, I guess this would mean xxx.com is hosted. Not a domain redirect.
> Anyway, confirm with DNS queries (above)
>
> * * * * * * * * *
> www.mohanarun.com

Thanks a lot for the post mate, but those DNS tools are way too
complicated for me and the client isn't spending enough for me to go
into such detail and spend the time.

My suspect is that the domain is using framed forwarding, any way to
check this quickly?

Best regards,

--
Krystian Szastok
Affordable, Freelance Web Designer in Eastbourne, East Sussex: