[thelist] How to check if a domain has hosting

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 01:12:28 CDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Roberto Gorjão
<roberto at asenseofdesign.com> wrote:

> 1- I don't think your tone is appropriate. The objective here is to help
> each other.

Yep, and that's the only reason I'm trying to correct some apparent
misconceptions :-)

> 2- If you never heard of "frame forwarding" maybe it is because you're
> not working with these things for as long as I do and you didn't
> actually read the first question on this thread. Google it and whatever
> yourself.

You're right, apparently the term is used by some cut-rate hosting
companies. You may have more experience -- I've only been running
web servers since 1994, and I've always used dedicated servers.

> 4- What you said first was that Krystian could know it all by the IPs
> and you implied they would be the same.

I didn't imply anything. I said they might be the same or they might
not. Either way, the IPs tell you which machines to examine.

> 5- The 301 redirect HTTP response will say to him if any of the IPs is
> redirected, which I had already said before, and the frame forwarding
> may be recognized by the source code, as Mohan had already said too. But
> these are not entirely conclusive: the 301 redirect HTTP response is
> commonly used by hosting companies, but some of them and some of the
> registrars often use status code 302. You can check it yourself: I have
> santosebandeira.com redirected, at the registrar, to santosbandeira.com,
> and the status code is 302.

One more confused paragraph. IP addresses are not "redirected";
HTTP requests are. And yes, the HTTP RFC specifies a number of
30x response codes, not just 301 or 302.

> 6- I think that if Krystian doesn't get 301 or 302 status responses on
> some domains and their pages do not show framesets at the source, he
> probably can safely assume

And I was trying to make the point that there's no need to "assume"
anything. Find the systems in question and check them directly. Or
at least that's what I'd do. YMMV.

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan