[thelist] pricing for web sites?

Jenni Beard jenni at theweblotus.com
Tue Sep 22 17:55:50 CDT 2009

In addition to the country, region is also a huge factor.  Cities such as NY
and LA are likely to have a significantly higher rate than Charleston, SC
where I am.  And, small towns in the Midwest US are likely to be even lower.

I generally will talk at length with the client about the specifics of the
project, including an idea of the type of design they're looking for.  Then
I develop a proposal that is an estimate based upon how many hours I
anticipate putting into the project.  For some clients who must have a set
budgeted amount, I will sometimes do the site for a flat fee based upon the
estimated hours, but prefer whenever possible to charge by the hour--this
really helps when a client later says "but I also wanted..." or "I thought I
also told you I wanted...".  It also allows for the client who has millions
of questions and wants to spend literally hours discussing them on the phone
and via email, which of course is also time I must spend.

Best,

Jenni