[thelist] Stats

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 07:36:56 CDT 2009

I wrote to my hosting support and said:

For site X, Webalizer shows:

Total Visits: 2,698
Total Pages: 10,395

for September. But Awstats shows:

Visits: 629
Pages: 6,353

for September.

They said "The main difference is that Webalizer displays charts by
calculating hits for all HTTP response codes. Awstats excludes results
for the traffic "not viewed" by the visitors, and this causes the
difference."

Does this make sense? What does it mean traffic which is "not viewed?"

Another site shows Visits/Pages 984/1877 in Webalizer and 319/651 in
Awstats. At least the difference (of a factor of 2-4) seems
consistent. :)

Perhaps I should be using Google Analytics? They also said I could
download and analyze the Apache logs myself, but I suppose I would
still have to rely on a package like Webalizer or Awstats.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred