[thelist] whois and locked

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Oct 5 18:13:55 CDT 2009

I've encountered the experience of unlocking domains in the past so that
the domain could be transferred to another domain registrar but it is
not clear whether this is related to the domain or simply, the hosting.

In this case the admin contact, the business owner, called CBeyond in
advance regarding this site and asked how to get hosting moved.  They
told him no problem, all that was needed was the new nameservers.  Given
that info I placed the call to them Friday late aft and they initiated
the change.  Perhaps wrongly, I assumed they had adequate registrar
access to make the change.  A couple hours later the website
disappeared.  I called back, they said I was impatient.

This afternoon after a few more calls from my client I called CBeyond
and the tech does a whois lookup and says it's locked and that's why.  I
think he said that did nothing to create the problem.  The tech didn't
identify with the cause/effect rationale. At that point I told him to
revert the hosting.

What am I on the trail of here?

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Standards - you gotta love em with so many to choose from!
Rocket Science - the Art of Managing Distractions